“Bridge Across the Schuylkill” (1856)

1838: The first permanent bridge across the Schuylkill at Gray's Ferry, shown in this 1856 woodcut, was built by the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad and named the Newkirk Viaduct after railroad president Matthew Newkirk.

“Bridge Across the Schuylkill” (1856) 1836: The first permanent bridge across the Schuylkill at Gray’s Ferry, as shown in an 1856 woodcut. From “Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad Guide: Containing a Description of the Scenery, Rivers, Towns, Villages, and Objects of Interest Along the Line of Road : Including Historical Sketches, Legends, &c” by Charles P. Dare (Fitzgibbon & Van Ness, 1856).